"The Devil that stole Christmas"

We all know that Christmas is about happiness and thanking but there was a year when I thought that Christmas was just another random day.
I have to tell you in general I really hate huge parties, it is a lot of planning, people you don't know and lots of drama, my parents tend to have the same opinion as me but the rest of the family just thinks we are weirdos. 
I was 15 and here in my country that needs a huge celebration, for me that just meant another year... and moths before I turned 15 the started to make this huge plans for a party, they took me to a huge shop to try some puffy dresses that of course I hated, I not a girly girl so dresses are not that comfy or cute.
As the months passed everything was turning around and we end up with a small party with my family ad that's when the problems started. 
Everyone started to get mad and of course I started to feel sad to the point I didn't wanted to answer the phone because I was afraid of the things my family was saying and as the date came closer my anxiety grew. My breaking point was when my mother told me that my grandma wasn't going to be there and my mom heard me cry for maybe the third time in 5 years and I felt like I wasn't part of that family that they didn't wanted me. I finished school and we started planning everything that was left but at this point the only thing that I wanted was to get out of there. By the 22 of December we started to trip, we were headed to Morelia.
I don't remember a lot of that night, I started drinking...
For me The devil that stole Christmas was my family and since then I don't allow them to take control of my life or even my holidays. With this history I'm not trying to say how "bad" my life can be sometimes, but there are some stories that I have to tell because if I don't do it, I wont be able to be free from them. That was one of the worst Christmas not only because my family was judgemental but because they decided that I wasn't as important and at first was devastating but now I can see that spending time with them doesn't mean allowing all of this.
Don't allow anyone else to control your dreams or tell you what to do...
Thanks for reading!

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram