Of the Bookshelf| When

When I first came upon "When" the mixed reviews caught my attention, this book was being as loved as it was not so loved, that intrigued, it's not often that you see that mixed of a  review on a Y/A novel.
At first I though this was going to be another love story with a bit of mystery involved, but I was wrong, as you start to read the book you get to meet Maddie with has an amazing "gift" she can see people's death dates on their forehead, her alcoholic mother makes her use that gift to get money so she can keep fuelling her addiction. 
What I loved about the book
It's easy to read, you can read it on a rainy afternoon and you won't regret it, it's simple, light and the story takes you by the hand with everything that's happening, unlike what I thought when I first picked the book up, this wasn't a romance, it was all about mystery and suspense which was a lovely surprise.
What I didn't like
The length, for me it was too short, the story had a lot to give and as always, the ending was a bit rushed and almost predictable, there were parts that had a lot of potential but at the end, it was all left there, there were also parts were I thought the story was going too slow and not really saying much about the plot.
It was a good easy book, just that, for me it had more potential and even though I liked it, there are parts that leave me a bit disappointed with the way they managed the story and the characters, but at the same time when I closed the book I was quite pleased, it's a mixture of emotions. 
If you like mystery and easy reads, this is for you, I'll give it 3.5 feathers.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram