Of the Bookshelf| We Were Liars


My first ever book from E. Lockhart, this was one of the first books I read when I started to immerse myself into a the books world, it was a change from really romantic novels to this one, it's still a Y/A novel but it has something different to it.
When I first started to read this book I was so confused by the plot of it, I didn't understand it quite well, it was a bit of a more complex book than I was actually used to reading, it's not a light reading, but it's not too complex that you'll have a hard time understanding it.  
The story moves in many different directions, sometimes it may go too slow, some others it may go too fast, but it actually made me enjoy the book a bit more than others, it made the story a little bit more dynamic and less static and boring. 
What I liked:
  • The plot was different, it was a mixture between a romantic novel and a mystery one, it was quite gripping at times and it gave the story a bit more movement. 
  • The characters, even though you only get to met them from one point of view, they are all really different and reflect different parts of who she was.
  • The writing style, which is one of the most controversial things about the book, but once you understand that this is supposed to evoque a young voice with a really difficult past, you'll understand why the writing style goes with the story and makes it more convincing. 
What I didn't like:
  • The story line, there are parts where it gets a bit too confusing, it goes back and forward and it can make you lose the track of the story. 
  • The ending, you get the revelation of everything that was happening, yet it was packed with information and for me, there were better ways to handle the situation and not make it feel it so rushed, but it wasn't as bad. 
I liked the book, I would recommend it if you are on the look of something a little bit different than your average Y/A novel, although it's not for everybody, it's a love/hate book, I'll give it 3.5 feathers.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram