Traditions| Day of the Dead

Traditions give us a sense of belonging, one of my favourites has to be the "Day of the Dead" it celebrates the dead and the journey they undertake when the dead came for them, it goes back to a true mexican root, and it's beautiful to see families get together to remember their loved ones and how they remember them with so much love and respect.
There's nothing dark with this celebration, it's believed that the souls of our family members come back only for a day, to see how we are, that's why we set water, their favourite food, some flowers, elements they loved when they were alive and a candle, a light to guide them.
I didn't understood any of this until a couple of years ago and it melts my heart, remembering those go went before we did and giving them a bit of what we have, it's beautiful to see people going to cemeteries and staying there, having a picnic, spending the day with them, or settling the "Ofrenda", lighting the candles and praying for them and everyone.















It was an amazing experience to go and see different "Ofrendas", it made me connect a bit more with my roots and this amazing traditions, it's something I'm going to keep doing, I hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I enjoyed taking them.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram