Of the Bookshelf| The Wall of Winnipeg and Me

Aiden "The Wall of Winnipeg" Graves, the top defensive end in the NFL, has a bigger attitude than his muscles, he knows what he wants and he never apologises. Vanessa Manzur, assistant/housekeeper/fairy godmother of Aiden, has a bigger heart than she shows, caring and organised, she is fighter and it's not willing to give up any of her dreams for some douche that thinks she's not that important, but soon she decides to quit, everything changes when she sees Aiden in front of her door waiting for her. 
I love a good love story and this was one of them, at first you get this really cold, really empty boss-employee relationship, but everything changes as she decides to quit and move on with her own graphic design business, which has been her biggest dream since she graduated, that and buying her own home, car and paying all of her debt. She continues her life, but life has a twist for her, as soon as she sees Aiden waiting for her at the steps of her door, she knows, life may take a turn.
What I liked:
  • The plot: The way the relationship moved from purely business to love was quite slow and had its turns, which is quite refreshing, Aiden didn't wake up one day loving her, it all built up until that point, as for her, she was quite in control and didn't rush into anything. 
  • The expressions: One thing that made me fall in love with this book even more was how they both expressed what they were feeling, how she said multiple times "Of course I fancy Aiden, I have ovaries" the guy was quite dreamy and she never denied the obvious, same with him, he was not afraid of saying how she looked.
  • The awkwardness: When you start a new relationship you always go through that awkward phase of first times, and they had that too, they overthought a lot of things, but made each other comfortable. 
  • The writing: It's a light reading, but unlike any other Y/A novels, it's really well written and that makes it a lot more enjoyable.
What I didn't like:
  • The ending: I won't say what happens, but for me it was really weak and it was missing that power that the rest of the book had, the epilogue was the one that let me down the most, but it went well with the story, so even though it wasn't my favourite, I don't hate it. 
It goes right into my "favourites", it was a really good book, you can see how little was wrong with it in my eyes, it's quite a good recommendation for those cold autumn nights to relax, for me it deserves 4.5 feathers. 
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram