The Camp

Because what's better than spending 24 hours with your coworkers and over 100 little kids, nothing right?

For this year's camp I was solo, my partner in crime had other duties and I was left with a mountain of work and little to no hands of help and you can only imagine under how much pressure I was, not only were my bosses counting on me but also many of my coworkers too.
We started the day at 8am without enough sleep, then went straight into work, getting phone calls, payments and putting together some of the activities we were meant to be having in hours. Nothing was ready, everything was going wrong and the only thing in my mind was how bad my period pains were and how much I wanted food.
By noon we were starting to pull everything through, I was starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, the top of the mountain but we've gotta remember that those can lie to us, sometimes our goal is farther than we think and problems began to surface not only with kids but coworkers with exhaustion.
And then the lunch began and the parents appeared too, they were ready to pick some of the kids up and being the only one that could do it, the "300" rounds (as my boss called them) began, I flew up and down the stairs about 5 times before finding a good system and making it kinda work for everyone.
Suddenly the day was starting to end and my help was needed in other areas which made it a hell of a lot more fun for me. I actually remember many of the teachers entering the office, looking exhausted to tell me about something else we had to do, something else that had gone wrong or just to seek some relief.
But the best best part was when I got to take off one of the target tapes he had on his hairy leg, it was just one pull that was so satisfying I can't explain it and everyone that saw it made the same face as him, everyone felt his pain.
And when the night and rain hit us my boss came to the rescue, managed to pull and activity and after the rain we had our yearly woodfire which kids and adults love. One of my little ones was picked up early but begged her mother to stay to see it and he did, he saw it and was amazed by it.
By the end of the day we were all out, but adults don't sleep at night and I laughed, chatted and got to know more of the people I'd been working on with for two weeks. I didn't sleep, I didn't eat properly but I enjoyed it way too much and our delirious morning we managed to see one of my favourite people dance and sing and just have a great time besides the tiredness. It was one of the best camp I've been too.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram