DAY1| First Flight

It is said that if you start the year travelling that you are going to do it throughout the whole year, or at least I like to believe that, so imagine my reaction when my mother cancelled out yearly New Year's trip and decided to make a family dinner at home, I was beyond devastated as I thought this meant I wasn't going to travel as much this year, little did I know that it was going to be just the beginning of something new.
Towards the middle of the month my cousin went into labour, it wasn't going to be easy and my aunt was there all by herself in the need for help, lucky for her my job was flexible enough that allowed me not only to leave the city, but will allow me to work from anyplace as long as I had internet connection.
And so I went, I packed my bags, booked my flight and gave a notice to my boss who told me to not worry about it and to only give him updates on how I was doing.
That morning I was so excited/nervous that I was unable to eat or drink without feeling sick, I was talking with "Chef", responding some other emails and trying to process everything as it was going to be my first flight in many years and it was also going to be my first time flying all by myself.
My dad took me to the airport and even when I'm always the emotional wreck out of the two of them I could sense that he was also feeling it to, it's not everyday that you take your only daughter to the airport, he told me "This things happen and sooner than later you were meant to start travelling by yourself".
I boarded my flight without problem, I even had time to work a little bit outside the gate as the nervousness faded away as soon as I passed security and realised that it wasn't that difficult, it wasn't as scary of a situation as I thought it was going to be.
That week I barely sleep, I held my first newborn and did a lot of things I never even thought of doing, like feeding a baby or watching reruns in a hospital waiting room, but it was all worthy.
On my way back I was almost too late to be allowed through security, but once I was relief filled my veins and I was in control once again, ready to board the next flight home, hug my mother and relax even for a few hours, because even when it was worthy, my body and soul were beyond tired.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram