Dark September

I talked openly about what happened during the two earthquakes that struck the city and many others around us, it was probably one of the most traumatic experiences most of us got to live and one that I would never would want to relive but my dad is right about one thing, you'll never know when it can happen again and it's better to be prepared.
I was with my grandma, a woman that lived through three of this type of earthquake and even her was scared, she didn't know what to do and even though I know she was trying to stay calm, she was really worried and I cannot thank the universe enough for letting me be at home when everything happened, I have no idea what would have happened if I would have stayed in class instead of going home for the simulacrum that happened two hours earlier.
The fear I felt by not being able to talk to my mum or my dad was real, I've never felt like this before, I didn't know if they were fine, if they were coming home and when you start hearing that there were several buildings collapsed, you can't help but fear for those ones you care the most about and sometimes think the worst.
I had the same feeling of adrenaline rushing through my veins in both earthquakes, I knew that I could've had a panic attack at any moment and my anxiety is still playing up at this day, but I don't know if what it was that helped me stay in focus, I calmed myself down for several minutes, kept myself busy and tried really hard not to panic for mine and everyone that was around me.
I was talking with one of my aunts when my dad appear on the front door and even when I was still fearful because of my mum, a huge weight was lift off of my shoulders, he was safe. It was a similar feeling to when I when with him to pick up my mum, knowing that she was fine and that I was so lucky that none of them were hurt made me feel like the luckiest girl on earth.
It was an eye opening experience in many ways, not only did I start to look out more for the good but I also realised how lucky I was to have all of my family, a house, my friends, everything, because there were people left with nothing. I went out to help not because I needed to feel better or to clean my karma, I went out because I had to, I was blessed to have all of those things and there were people out there suffering, I had to do something and I'm glad I did and still do. Those experiences really leave a mark in our lives.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram