Work Hard

"A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work."
Colin Powell
Ever since I was a little girl I've heard that nothing worth having comes easy, that you should always work hard to get what you want and you should never let anyone make less of you work (but that's another lesson), because people will respect people that work hard for what they want.
All of this was reaffirmed last summer when I went to a work interview to my dream job, going back to work on a summer course with little kids, playing around with them and overall having a good time during the summer, but what I didn't anticipated was that not everyone was going to be happy to see me.
I went in with a recommendation, everyone in there knew who I was but the real question was if whether or not I was going to be able to keep up with the workload and pressure that you are put under every day for about a month.
I was scared, there was no way of denying that a part of me didn't feel right, but then there was the other part that wanted to belong, to do amazing, to make my parents and everyone that gave me the recommendations proud, I knew how incredibly lucky I was to be able to work in there and I did not want to let go of an opportunity this big.
During that year I sweated my ass off, worked as hard as I could and did everything that was in my hands to make that summer the best for everyone and it worked, at the end my bosses recognised my work and I made a new friend.
This year I was asked to come back, I worked even harder being on my own and letting others do their thing, I let myself have a bit more fun and enjoy it, but even then I made myself proud and when it was over I was happy to see that other people really recognised the work and effort I put into that month.
Lesson? Work your way, it's more satisfying than relying on others, and you've gotta remember that in order to get to the top, you've got to work hard and help others, it feels better that way.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram