Embrace the Awkward

While brainstorming this project I went to this new place, a trendy coffee shop, because I was up for a change and I really want to start supporting small, independent business, and I was faced with a new challenge I didn't even know I had.
I'm awkward and I know that if you are a close friend you are shaking your head in utter disbelief, because how am I going to be awkward if I'm the first one to ask the embarrassing questions, talk with strangers and just throw itself to the most random situations, well, as a matter of fact I have a real problem when it comes to talking with strangers and trying to fit in.
As I was walking towards that place I felt like an outsider, I had seen pictures of the place but I had the same questions everyone has when going into a new place, like what to order, but most importantly I was nervous to make mistakes, to be judged or to feel so awkward that I would have to leave.
First I got lost looking at a map, managed to enter right after another girl which ended up ordering the same thing as me and snatched a nice place next to a man with a book and a newspaper where no one was going to be able to disturb me or vice versa.
It was a nice place, the coffee wasn't my favourite (a tiny bit bitter) and I managed to get a lot of ideas, although not much actually done because of three precious dogs that stole my full attention for over an hour, and a pet friendly coffee shop is a winner for me.
Through the three hours I was there I didn't did that much, I wrote, I stared at my computer, planned and enjoyed the cup of (slightly bitter) coffee, but as people started coming in I started feeling really out of place, when in reality no one was paying attention to me, if someone were to worry that would be the owner of the dogs that kept barking.
Needless to say I would be going back to that place, but next time I'll try to embrace that awkwardness and fear of public, which has shown to be a real thing, it's part of who I am and at the end, If I go there it's to try and concentrate, not impress people.
The big lesson here is to embrace who you are and not worry so much about impressions or people judging, most of the time they have way too much in their minds to care about you.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram