Let Your Emotions Show

"If you want to have a life that is worth living, a life that expresses your deepest feelings and emotions and cares and dreams, you have to fight for it. "
Alice Walker

Crying is often portrayed as a symbol of weakness, we are told that you should only cry when something really bad happens, unless you want to look really fragile to everyone else, because showing emotions makes seem unstable, like we can't control our life. Coldness on the other side is well accepted by coworkers and sometimes family members.
For a long period of time I was guilty of hiding my emotions, only crying when I was in the safety of my room or with someone I really trusted, that's when the nights turned into my only time to really take all of my emotions out and that way no one would notice how bad I was feeling.
With puffy eyes and a fake smile I would step back into the real world every morning, thinking that maybe that day was going to be better, that maybe I had left all the pain I had inside me in my pillow with my tears, when in reality I was the same broken girl.
This went on for months, only a few people would notice the subtle changes in my personality and even then I would brush those comments on to continue faking my life, because I didn't want to show how vulnerable I was, how much my anxiety was affecting me or how I was ready to run and leave my life behind.
I hid my feelings for so long that I was no longer sure of who I was, and when everything started to fall apart so did myself and it was the worst feeling I've ever had to live, I was overwhelmed by all of this emotions and I didn't know how to handle them.
It took me years to learn that tears, laughter, anger and every emotion you feel is natural, you don't have to be afraid to show them, a lot of people are going through similar things and would understand. Also, remember that there's people that are naturally a bit cold, that doesn't mean they are hiding something, it means they are like that and it's okay for them.
We still have a long way to learn how to respect feelings and emotions, but we can begin by trying not to judge them when we see someone laughing too loud or crying, we are only humans and it's okay to feel something.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram