Love Yourself

“This thing about you that you think is your flaw - it's the reason I'm falling in love with you.”
Colleen Hoover
"If you can love yourself how in the hell are you going to love somebody else?" says RuPaul as his show is ending, I've been watching "Drag Race" for over three hours and I can already see why people love it, it's not about wigs or transformation (although that is fun too), it's about people accepting who they are, but also being accepted.
About four years ago I gained a lot of weight, if you are familiar with that you may also know that it takes a turn on your confidence as clothes don't fit you the same way they used to and people start to point it in not the nicest ways, even when they are not meaning to offend you.
About two years ago I started to lose those extra pounds when I started working out and getting a little bit into yoga, I remember how many people told me I looked good and I should keep going, while others asked about my weight gain and what had happened there, at the time I brushed those questions away, I was not interested on what others had to say about me or my body transformation.
Later I realised that I was so on the fence about those comments because near inside I still keep those rude questions back in the day and although I knew I was working out for myself, my health, I didn't want anyone to drift that attention from there.
Throughout that year I learned to love myself, my body and all the flaws it had, like stretchmarks and scars I have, I still feel conscious about it but I'm starting to accept them and even when I wish they weren't there, I know they tell a story of who I was and who I'm becoming, they show growth and many stories I once will tell my grandchildren.
And once I started to love myself I realised that other people started paying attention too, I noticed that a lot more people thought I was pretty or that I looked good, confidence brought that attention and it wasn't until I talked with "Chef" about it that I understood that phrase.
The lesson? Learn to love yourself for who you are, for what you do, not because someone else tells you how pretty you are, do it for yourself and the rest will come.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram