Don't Figure it Out

“I’ve spent awhile trying to figure out where I’m going and the only thing I’ve come to realize is it doesn’t matter where, it’s how I get there.”
Dominic Riccitello
I have a theory, if you are around my age you are either really sure of what you want to do and who you want to become or you are lost, pressured and anxious about the future, guess in which one I am... The second one.
This theory came from me watching my group of friends, some have moved on with their life and have a job or are in a healthy relationship, others are finishing up their major and already know what they want to do after graduating, and then there's me, the one that knows how to do way too many things but doesn't know what to do with them.
And I've found that a lot of people feel this pressure to have it always figured out, because we are told that there's no room for doubt, let alone failure, so we start working and pushing ourselves that person everyone can look up to, the person you get compared to in every family reunion.
The pressure only gets worse as you get older, not only are people asking about your plans, but they are also asking if you want to get married, have kids or be alone, and you'll certainly be judged by everything you say, no matter the answer you give.
A few months back one of my uncles went to visit us, we were talking about my plans, the future, my mum's jobs, everything and nothing when suddenly the subject changed to me being single and how I should really consider getting married in the future, to this I gave the same argument I always use "I'm not against or pro marriage, I want to wait and see what happens".
The lesson? It's okay to not know what you want to do with the rest of your life, actually you are not the only one in this position, it's an important decision and if it takes you a little longer than the rest of the population to make it, let it be, you have one life only, one life ahead of you.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram