Friendless Friendships

“Fake friends are like shadows: always near you at your brightest moments, but nowhere to be seen at your darkest hour
True friends are like stars, you don't always see them but they are always there.”
Habeeb Akande

There are two types of lessons, the ones you earn the easy way or the ones that hit you in the face full force, those are the ones that make you cry, sob and ask the world why did you do to deserve something like this, but even when they hurt the most, those are the ones that teach you the most. 
This lesson hit me right in the face a few years back when I thought that I had my life figured out and my friends were there for me, because they loved spending time with me, not because I had something they may want, or because I was a quick way up. 
I remember my mum telling me that not because they are friendly with you means that they will be there for you every time you need them or that they are real friends, and being the "rebel" teenager that I was, I told my mum there was no way someone was going to let me down, because everyone that was around me wanted my friendship not what I could give. 
Boy was I wrong, it only took a matter of months for me to realise how many of my friends were there for favors, wanting something from me or my parents, and one night when the biggest group of friends came to confront me about it I broke down and that's when I hit my face hard against the pavement. 
Not literally but the pain of realising that the only thing they saw in me were favors really hurt, and that's when my parents took me away for a little bit, I knew how worried they were because that night with the crying call I realised that my mum was right.
Pick your friends carefully and be a good friend, listen, talk, keep in touch, but most importantly offer everything and nothing, don't look out for interest in them, be with them because you get along, because you enjoy their company, not because you are lonely or they have something you might want. Be the friend you would want to have.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram