Book Club| The Other Countess

Remember when I said I wanted to do new things, this is one of them... yeah, it's going to become a thing, I think.
Welcome to our book club, if you have been reading this blog for a while, you should now that I love reading, is one of those things I push myself to do when I have nothing better going on, it relaxes me, it makes me laugh, cry and even get mad, I love a good book. 
The thing here is, when you read a lot, you bump into not so good books, I don't like to say bad because I know there was people working to get their work published and also, at the end of the day, books are really a personal preference, what I might hate, you might love, we are all sharing opinion.
For the first I wanted to share my all time favourite, a book that I've re-read, that I bought on a wimp but came to love it more than other books, The Other Countess. 

General Information
Original Title: The Other Countess
ISBN: 0141327308 (ISBN13: 9780141327303)
Edition Language: English
Series: The Lacey Chronicles #1
Summary:
In 1582 Elizabethan England, sixteen-year-old Lady Eleanor Rodriguez, Countess of San Jaime (known as Ellie to her friends), is nearly penniless and possesses a worthless title. But her feisty spirit captivates the social elite at the queen's court, especially the handsome young Earl of Dorsett. The new Earl, William Lacey, has recently inherited the title and the family's financial ruin from his father. He is tasked with finding a wealthy bride at the queen's court who can help bring his family back to their former glory. Will blames Ellie's alchemist father for his family's financial situation, which makes it that much more unacceptable when he falls in love with her. Their attraction to each other is undeniable, but people--and circumstances--conspire to keep them apart. 

Opinion
Eve Edwards' debut novel, first title out of a three book series, it's situated in England during the Queen Elizabeth's kingdom.
Lady Eleanor is left in custody of his father after her mother's death, leaving her with nothing but an empty Spanish title that doesn't help her as her father continues to drag her down in his obsession with Alchemy.
William Lacey is left with a huge responsibility after his father's death, his family is almost broken and he has no option but to marry a rich girl from court.
As the book develops you get to meet both characters and know what they've been through, Ellie has had a rough start in life as his father doesn't seem to mind about her problems, William is forced to be in charge of his family while they try to recover from the financial ruin his dad left them.
Both of them met, William without knowing that Ellie was the daughter of the alchemist that he hated the most, they began to feel this connection and you as a reader get to see what is going through both minds as they start to fall in love with each other.
I love both characters, I found Ellie a really interesting girl that was put under a lot of pressure as his father makes her run from city to city trying to find somewhere where he could work, she's an intelligent and well prepared woman, something that's not only weird but not well-seen.
William knows what he has to do, even when he doesn't wants to do it, he's really stubborn and there were times were I really wanted to yell at him, but you can see how dedicated he is, how responsible he became through the years, he likes justice and it's willing to take back anything if he knows he made a mistake.
You get to see how both of them go through Court doing their best to not catch attention, how they meet new people and how the battle against not only people but what they think is better for each other.
I love their interactions and how they seem to get along even when they don't know it from the beginning

For me it's a 4.5 out of 5.


Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram