My Family...

We are pretty messed up, it has been around 19 years since the last time we were all together, we fight a lot, we don't look a like, we are so different, but when someone need something, we are there, because that's what my family is like.
Having my family close to me is something new, something that I never really experienced before, of course we talked but it was more of like a "Are you still alive?" kind of call, we followed different paths, some of them moved to another city, some of them got married, some of them don't even know me, of course I have two families, my mom's and my dad's but my dad's family has always been close and supportive, the other part is the difficult one.
Don't get me wrong, I love both of them in different ways of course, I won't go away from either of them, I learn a lot of different things from them, I love them because they are different.
Back to my reunited family (my mom's part), I never saw this kind of reunions coming, I mean, we were apart, but I think we owe this to my mother's determination to see her siblings more and to keep the family close to my grandma.
One by one they have been getting closer to us, to our lives, to our house and I even mention my house because it has been the reunion point for everybody and let me tell you that I've never seen my parents this open to having people over that often, of course we have friends over but once every 6 months or more, my mom has been going crazy with this things but she really loves it and I love how happy she looks when they start talking about the fun memories or the new memories. Even though I had a rough beginning with them, they are growing on me, having them close and really trying, has really made a change in the way I see them and the way I interact with them.
Even if I don't accept this, I have a lot of them in me, in my personality and in the way I express myself. At the end of the day they are my family and they support me and love in their own unique way.
Our next resolution or at least mine is to have a family reunion in a significant spot of the city, the place where my grandpa used to work, that forest that I love so much, I want to get that done before the year ends. I guess we can't escape our families.
thanks for reading!

Mayte

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram