My Life in Books


I'm a big reader, I like to always have something to read, it doesn't matter the subject or the author, I like exploring and finding hidden pieces in some of them. I often get criticised by my friend "Artiste" for my taste in books, because they are mostly romantic novels, but what can I say, I'm a sucker for romantic things and happy, lovely endings.
But the twist for me comes when I read the ending, I like the beginning and how the story evolves but half of the time (or even more) I tend to get disappointed by the ending, in my opinion, most of the writers rush the ending by giving people what they want, a happ couple or a mistery solved, but sometimes that's not what suits the book the most, sometimes killing the main character, leaving the mystery unsolved or just making it a 100 pages longer can make a huge difference, that's why even when I read 70+ books a year, only a few can make the cut into my amazing list of "My Favourites"
- The Divergent Series by Veronica Roth. Let's start with the controversial one, I made a mistake and went to watch the movie before I read the book, I liked it and that's why I started to read the books, I read the series in over 3 days while I was on holiday and I loved them, some may think that they are similar to "The Hunger Games" but the only thing they have in similar is the fact that they both are dystopias, other than that they are really different story lines, what I enjoyed the most was that in the last book you get answers for everything without leaving room for doubts, and of course even when the ending of the series made me cry like a baby, it was what suited the story the most.
- The Other Countess by Eve Edwards. My personal favourite, it's a historic novel, I first picked it up as another book, because I needed to get three books to get a discount, when I started to read it, I was amazed, the story takes you away, you feel what the characters are feeling, you understand a lot of things and you get to read really romantic phrases from the characters. I do recommend it, you should go and read it, because in my opinion more people need to know about it.
- Just One Day by Gayle Forman. A weird one, I read it because I found it all alone, when I first read it, it didn't made much sense and I found the story quite plain, lame and boring, but it wasn't until I had the opportunity to read the other two books of the series and read a rather funny review on "GoodReads" that I understood what the book was about and enjoyed it, I re-read and understood where the author was going and I actually think is good "Rainy Day" book.
- Where She Went by Gayle Forman. The sequel of "If I Stay", I read it because of the cliff hanger that the first book leaves you on, at first I was hesitant of whether I was enjoying it or not, but again, I was pleasantly surprised by the turn things take in this book, I don't want to give any spoilers but you do get answers for everything even when time has passed, again, this is more of like a "Rainy Day" type of book, I think you can enjoy.
 - Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. A light one, the story is weird, it took me a while to really enjoy the book, thought the story I was screaming the characters to see what was beyond their noses, but again, their never listen, I enjoyed it, I would re-read but again, this book is not for everyone.
Those are the books have made the cut so far, for me, a book becomes a favourite when I enjoy everything about it, not get bored and I can re-read, most of the books I can enjoy but I wouldn't re-read,if you want to see those, I'm in the process of sorting our my library in GoodReads, I'll post it when it's ready.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.” ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

 Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram