Of the Bookshelf| The Violets of March


Emily Wilson knowns how is like when life comes full circle. She's been at the top, having a best seller book, a beautiful husband and a place she could call home and now, ten years later, life seems to have turn her back at her. Her divorce is finalised, her house empty and her heart broken, but her aunt is not going to let Emily sink in her own pain as she invites her to her house to maybe get some inspiration for another best seller.
What I liked:
  • The combination between mystery and romance throughout the whole book. 
  • The way the red velvet diary takes over the story as the main character starts to find herself again. 
  • The way Emily overcomes her long time creative block and she finds closure from her divorce. 
What I didn't like:
  • As much as I loved the mystery part of the book and how it interacted with the romance that was developing, I didn't like the romance part by itself. It was all too superficial and too easy as she was coming from a failing marriage. 
  • The ending was interesting in some ways as we tie loose ends and get find out the "truth" in the story but it was too easy, too quick, too everything and nothing. 
  • The way it was written/translated left me feeling quite itchy. I read a translation so I don't know if they overdid the fancy words just in the translation or if it was like that in the original language too. 
It was a good book, it has a different take on young/adult novels and I enjoyed reading it. Personally I didn't enjoy the romance as much as I thought I would, but nonetheless it was a light reading that anyone can enjoy.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram