Of the Bookshelf| Swear on this Life

When a book is recommended to you, you have one of two options, you either read it or you leave it in the shelf. Emiline decides to read it and before she even finishes the first page she knows what this book is about, it's all about her past and the only one that could have written this was Jase, her childhood friend and first crush.
She now has to decide whether to keep her life going the way it is now, or go on the lookout for Jase and herself, all while she tries to make her writer's block go away.

What I liked:
  • What drawned me to this book was the message it held, it has a good reminder for all of us, because we only get one life and you do regret the things you don't do. 
  • Jase was really clever as a character and although he didn't appeared as much as I would have wanted, he made important appearances and at some point I was hoping for him and not the main character of the story.
What I didn't like:
  • The amount of times they go back to memories or the book. It can get confusing and at some point I got way too worked up to keep reading those parts. 
  • The love triangle was too much for me. Everyone reading the book could see that there was no choosing, she had one good option and one bad, lazy option, yet she made it hard on herself. 
  • The ending was so hyped that once you read it you can't help but be disappointed. It was nice to have a nice message but it was too weak.
When this book popped into my recommendations I got excited but once I read it I realised that it wasn't what I expected even when the message was there. The changes between the present, the past and the book became too much and the story became dependant on them instead of giving the characters a "new chance". For me it's a 3 out of 5. 
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram