Of the Bookshelf| Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Eleanor avoids social interaction as her skills are known to not be the best, she's a creature of habit used to say whatever is on her mind. She enjoys her routine, frozen pizza, vodka and phone talks with Mummy, but that isn't meant to last as one night as she is on her way to her usual deli she sees an accident that brings the attention from Raymond, the IT from her company, and everything that comes with him. She doesn't know it yet but her life is about to change and it may be for good.

What I liked:
  • Raymond's interaction with the main character was remarkable. It was obvious that he saw the problem with the main character and worked his way into her life without pushing her. 
  • The way they touch certain subjects that Eleanor is going through in her life and how it shows not everyone is going to judge and asking for help isn't as bad as we sometimes think. 
  • The involvement of more characters. They get included quite organically and you can relate with them and how they get along and get included in the story without playing such a big part but still making that impact. 
  • The two parts the story is divided into, me having dealt with anxiety I know what they refer to when they talk about good and bad days. It's different for everyone but the distinction was nice to have. 
What I didn't like:
  • The "love triangles", on quotes because they didn't exist, not really and it was a waste of paper, it lead a bit of the story? Yes, but it wasn't worthy.
  • The lack of talk about certain subjects, I know I said I liked the lacked of judgement, but they really missed an opportunity to touch on some sore subjects the book presented. 
  • I got really confused in some parts because it lacked connection, I know it had a lot to do with how the character is, but nonetheless I had a confused face throughout 30% of the book.
This book presents many sore and touchy subjects, some of which can be triggering, I recommended it because I first went in without knowing what it was about and although it brought back some memories and it was certainly confusing, I enjoyed it a lot and it shares a powerful message for everyone out there.
Be careful, if you find it triggering it's better to discard it than suffer inside. It's a good book and for me it's a 3.5 out of 5.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram