10 Memories from Summer Course


  • You'll always remember the first day of something and I sure as hell do, my outfit wasn't my favourite, I was nervous, excited and a bit dizzy, but even with that the emotion of going back were bigger than anything and were pushing me to do it. I saw a lot of familiar faces and everything felt right as soon as I got there. 
  • The second meeting was memorable for its own reasons, as I'd missed the last meeting I had to go another day to meet with the rest of the people that had also missed it, so when I got there I was surprised to see only 10 of us. We played around, worked in groups and laughed like little kids.
  • The day before the big day, we all had to go for the last meeting, the work was piling up and even when I was by myself I was doing alright, until most of my coworkers decided to mess up with my peace and circle my desk leaving me no space to run or hide, everyone was asking for something different and after 5 min of not leaving me alone they decided that enough was enough and left me alone, at least for the rest of the day. Then I kept working alongside my two bosses, we had lunch, worked until 6 p.m. and went home with a smile on my face. 
  • The first day and how stressful it was, I don't know what it would have been of me without my partner in crime, she's really good and committed to get everything done in just a few hours. Without her nothing would have gotten done that day.
  • The camp, because after two long and stressful weeks all you need is a camp to unite you with your coworkers and little kiddos. A lot happened during that day, I managed to get a lot done thanks to many people that helped me and pushed me when everything started to go down. Although pulling an all nighter is not something I do often, I don't regret doing it that day, I laughed, cried and bounded with a lot of people without caring of how tired I was. I wouldn't change it for anything in the world, even when I was a little bit delirious by the end of the night. 
  • One day, two accidents and a lost. No matter how much you try, if a kid is moving, it's a sign of danger, but a broken bone is not something that happens often, so when the doctor called me and told me about the kid with the broken bone I went pale and everything stopped. Luckily it wasn't anything serious, but another accident occurred and took us to the edge. By the end of the day we were all really stressed and wanting to go home and forget about it. 
  • The competition was strong during the first three weeks, but near the end, it was time to really push our little kids and set a friendly competition between groups. What I didn't anticipated that day was that I would be treating with soldiers before and after the opening ceremony, and let me tell you, they weren't one or two, there were about 50 of them and I got to interact with all of them, something I never imagined doing in my life. Then my boss put me in charge of taking care of our finest silverware used in every prize-giving ceremony, because you've gotta do what you've gotta do.
  • During the last week we get to enjoy one day of amazing doughnuts, but this year my boss was determined to not let me get one, she didn't anticipated that thanks to my coworkers and their fascination to doughnuts and sweet treats, I would get to scape for a few minutes, run up and down a hill just to get some of those delicious and chocolate covered treats. I don't know if me sneaking the day before to get a cookie pop was what striked the restriction, but at least I got them and no one saw.  
  • The second to last day was maybe one of my favourite ones, I got dressed as a Grease character with two high pigtails, orange bows and neck scarf, I felt pretty in it. But the most amazing part of that day was that I got to organise and be in front of the kermess, I got to solve problems we had due to rain. Then I got to comfort two little kids that were crying near the end of the day. Overall it was a really good day and I managed to do everything and still have a good time around kids and adults. It was also a reminder of why I love working with kids so much. 
  • The last day, of course I had to mention it, not only did I got reaffirmation from co workers, but also mums and kids that loved the work we put through the last month. Then I spent the last few hours surrounded by the people I worked alongside and had a good time, I was melancholic, but this time I said goodbye and didn't regret a thing.
It's true, summer course was a really weird time for me, it had it's ups and downs, my anxiety showed up, my mood changed a lot, but I also laughed, smiled and learned a lot from a group of 50 people that I would never forget. They made my summer a lot better and I'm grateful for being able to share those memories with them. Who knows what's going to happen in the future, but for now all I have to say is until next summer... hopefully.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram