Of Disillusions


Over the years I've lost a lot of people, sometimes over little things such as not having the same taste in something, sometimes over big arguments, fights and huge disappointments.
I remember being around 15 and telling my mum that everyone that used to hang with me were my friends, because for me they were, they would spend most of their free time with me, I would trust them and talk to them about everything, but she told me that no matter how much they would be around me, I needed to start recognising who was my real friend.
Of course me being a 15 year old, I didn't listened to her, I thought she was crazy, so I continued going, thinking everyone that was lovely around me and wearing my heart on my sleeve, which called for a lot of disappointment over the next few years.
The cold reality hit me months after that talk with my mum, after going through a really bad moment in my life and realising that maybe I was getting along with the wrong people, I came to the conclusion that my mum was right, more than half of them were with me because of what I could give them, not because of me.
It was a hard shock for me, it took a while to let that sink in and tell my mum she was right, I actually remember calling her and telling her about my problems and then my voice just cracked, I handed the phone to a friend and broke down right there, in the middle of school.
Unfortunately through this process I also managed to push away people that really cared about me, most of them were not comfortable with those friendships and at the time, I didn't understood, of course now I get it and it makes a little sad to know that I put people that didn't matter before them.
If I could say something to my 15 year old self would be to be more selective and not wear her heart on her sleeve, follow your gut and remember that not everyone is going to be your friend.
Mayte. 

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram