Of the Bookshelf| Out of Play


Bishop Riley has a problem with crowds, even when he's a known baterist, he hasn't fully mastered the art of performing in large crowds, this leads to really big addictions that he covers up by saying it's a way of relaxing.
Penny doesn't have time to lose with a bad boy, she's more interested in her game, hockey, being the only girl in a team can be hard, but she knows how to handle all of that. But one thing she's missing is a way to handle her feelings and when a foreign mysterious man reaches her cabins, she starts to lose her cool and even oper her heart a little bit.
What I like:

  • Bishop: Most of drug addicts won't accept they have a problem until it's either too late or something big happened in their life, in this case they manage to keep that real part of him in the story, they don't make it fall out of an addiction easily. 
  • Penny: It's weird to find strong female characters that don't feel intimidated by the male role, she knows what she wants, she's not afraid of talking, she lacks a bit of confidence towards love interests, but other than that she always manages to keep her head high without being cocky. 
  • The way they don't change as soon as they get involve with each other, we often see one of the characters changing to fit the mold to be liked, in this case no one changed for the other person, they overcame situations and stayed true to themselves. 
What I didn't like
  • The way they fall in love, it's instantaneous, and although I'm not saying inta-love doesn't exist, this takes it to another level, he spends less than a month (I think) and she's already in love, to each their own, it happened way too fast. 
  • The mum attitude, (SPOILER) she blames her daughter for not being smart enough, even when she wasn't changing anything in her, I get that sometimes they see red flags, but this was not the case, Penny was still as dedicated as before if not even more, she took care of her grandpa and stayed true to herself, for me it was a huge overreaction after trying to hide her new partner.
  • The pain, (SPOILER) near the end you get a load of events that makes you feel really overwhelmed, I actually cried a little bit, it was really good but the fact that it was written in a couple of pages made it feel even more painful. 
As for the ending, I don't know where I stand, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was capable of being, but it lacked something, I like how open it was and it made sense, I'm on the fence about it. Overall it was a good book, one that I would recommend, but one that I wouldn't re-read, it's not too cheesy, not too hot or adult. Perfect to spend the afternoon reading. 
For me it's a four out of five.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram