Different Paths


About a week ago I went with my parents to help an old family friend figure out something with his accounting, it took much longer than anticipated so at one moment we began talking about plans, about the past, about everything, but out of nowhere, everything shifted to me and my plans for when I leave college.
Usually I never get bothered by people asking me this kind of questions, because I always give them the same answer and they seem to accept the fact that I really want to try different things and try the different areas in which my mayor can take me, they also accept the fact that I don't see myself doing the same thing for the rest of my life, but this time I got a little bit pissed about the way the question was directed.
"But you have to choose, you have to think where you see yourself in 5 years" he said, my face was photo worthy, I don't see myself anywhere in 5 years, I have one main goal but not a clear road to get there and after a lot of talking I realised that I wasn't the only one and this was not a problem, a lot of people change careers through their life and end up being even more successful.
And then he said something that made it even worst "Well, working with kids can be profitable if you know what market you get yourself into", and then I realised that even when I'm pretty lucky and have parents that support every crazy project I get into, I'm starting to make my own "real" money and it all comes from doing something that I love and that I never thought would bring me that kind of "success".
After my frustration from the talk faded away, I realised that I got frustrated over something I thought I had put behind me, I can't even remember the last time I've let anyone criticize my life choices like that and then he comes and makes me get this frustrated and almost rethink my plans for after graduation? No.
If you are in a similar situation, brush it off, it doesn't matter if you are graduating, pursuing your dreams, following a different path to what everyone thought, you do you and don't let anyone tell you what you should be doing, because if you don't love it, it's going to show and sometimes it's better to have less money than to be unhappy.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram