To an Old Friend:

It's been awhile since we last talked, I remember that day, you stood me up, you thought that was enough of a punishment after arguing with me, what you didn't knew is that even when I knew I made a mistake, I was not going to apologise, I just wanted to end things right.
I remember the first time we met, my first day of middle school, I was the new girl and you were some sort of queen bee, your name intrigued me a lot, it was different and unlike any other I had ever heard, no one ever got it right without asking how it was spelt.
We started to spend more and more time together and without noticing, I lost myself in your words, a part of me just wanted to fit in and at the time I knew you knew the easy way, I didn't hesitated, not even when you got mad because I hung with people you didn't.
I grew and started exploring what was out there, it was obvious for many people how different we were, yet we never noticed, we were destined to take different paths and when it was time to make our choices, you made fun of me for going a different way, for talking to people you hated, for hanging out with people that you didn't liked.
At the time I didn't took it as important, but it was all there, as we started to hang out with different people, we noticed how different we were, how we enjoyed different things, how being apart made us better, but none of us wanted to point out the obvious.
Maybe we were afraid of leaving behind the last part of our middle school, maybe we didn't wanted to hurt each other, there are many things that could have happened, but it was just a matter of time before we had that fight.
It was an honest mistake, something I knew you needed to know, yet a part of me didn't wanted you to know, it spilled and made a huge mess impossible to clean, because no matter how hard we tried, our friendship was too broken to fix.
I remember your words, "Why don't you told me you wanted to stop being my friend? That way we can all stop pretending that this friendship even exist" I didn't knew how to take it, I didn't handle it the best way, I thought that giving you time to cool off was the right thing.
You were wrong, I didn't wanted you to stop being my friend, I loved laughing with you and we had precious moments together, too precious to let them slip away, but you were right in one thing, we were pretending to have a friendship.
We grew apart after being three years together, we didn't took care of us, we stopped hanging out regularly, you started trying to include other people into the mix and even when we tried to make it work, it was a matter of time before it was all destroyed.
Many people would think that I hate you, but I don't, I could never do that, you helped me understand a lot of things, you helped me through rough times and I will always treasure those memories. I know that you are capable of a lot of things and even when I know you won't be reading this, I wish you the best of luck and a good life.
Mayte. 

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram