Discipline over Motivation


Through this past four months I've been talking about being in a "funk", not feeling like doing anything and just avoiding everything that had to do with doing something either out of my comfort zone or that was going to make me work harder than I am today.
Through those four months my workload increased not because I was having more work, actually there were two months in which it decreased, but because I was putting it off. There was nothing that would pull me out of bed to do anything other than reading, let alone working.
And it wasn't because I was feeling depressed or was struggling with my anxiety. I was using my ability to find excuses to the max, there wasn't a situation I couldn't use to not do something I was supposed to do.
In normal situations I would blame on motivation, because that's what everyone does, but once you really stop and think about it, motivation is not what's really stopping you. What is really stopping you is the lack of discipline and the lack of perseverance.
Think about it, how many times have you stopped doing something because of... (insert excuse here), it can be anything from the more realistic like the lack of time which can be easily fixed once you start getting more organized, to the really obnoxious like the fact that your series will be airing that night and you have to watch it.
It's really eye opening and although it's almost impossible to do something right away, you'll start noticing little things like how many YT videos you watch to procrastinate your next task or simply how much time you lose doing unimportant things that will not benefit you in the long term.
My biggest advice is to stop justifying the actions that don't benefit you, such as not finishing that paper because you felt tired, or not sending that essay because you stopped to watch a video as a reward for your hard work. There are a million and one examples, but today for a change do what you have to do.
Remember that the faster you start the task, the faster you'll rest and the more accomplished you'll feel.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram