Assumptions

As you know, I've just started in an old/new job, I went back to summer course, but unlike last year, this time I've spent a fair amount of time taking care of myself, which means I've started to work out a bit more, I (sometimes) take care of my eating habits and I overall feel happier and more like myself.
And ever since I came back I've been getting comments talking about my physical appearance, and I've been trying to brush them off, for many reasons, but one of the most important ones is that when I started being more active and started taking more care of myself, I did it because of myself, because I wanted to do it for me.
So everytime someone talks about it, I just smile and nod, not because I'm rude, I just don't want to turn all their attention into that. I'm still not 100% happy with the way I look, there are some days when nothing seems to fit right or I feel bloated and not quite as comfortable with my image.
But the other day one of the secretaries that work in a different floor called me to pick up something, it was the end of the day, I was tired, sweaty and dreading more stairs, so I made a comment about me being incredibly tired and not in the mood to go up more stairs and she told me "Well, you should do more, or do you do some exercise when you get home?"
My mind flipped, a part of me was pissed, another part started feeling sorry for myself, but at the end I told her that I did do something once I got home, but when I tried to explain her the only thing she did was turn it around and kind of make fun of it.
So I just walked away not wanting to hear anything else or make more of it, but a part of me felt really sorry for them, I didn't take it personally, that would only break me and it's not worthy. But my point is that you can't go around making assumptions about people, just because they are larger it doesn't mean they don't work out.
And this goes for everything, it's in our nature to make assumptions about everything, but next time you do it, think twice, because you never know what that person may be going through or how that comment may affect them.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram