IV


Lying seemed like someone people out here were used to doing, everyone seemed to have their hidden interest with Jake. The more I talked with them, the more I found out about him, about the person behind the party. I could tell that everyone was looking for something, but what? What wsa about him that everyone wanted?
"What about you?" Sophie's voice brought me back from my day dream
"Excuse me? I wasn't listening"
"I asked if you had a boyfriend or a partner"
"Not really, I like being single"
"Me too, but I feel like I need someone, you know?" His eyes drifted to the other side of the room"Someone mature, with goals, aspirations, someone... mature"
"Ever met anyone?" The answer was clear for everyone out there.
"Not really, I've been single for about a year, ever since that guy I told you about" Her attention drifted "He made crave something more serious with someone more mature"
"I get you, I once dated someone younger than me and it all went too fast with him" It was the first time Faith talked in a while "He wanted to meet my family and we weren't even together"
"And you? Have you dated anyone younger?" Sophie asked me
"No, young isn't my thing"
"But you do go out, don't you?"
That made me laugh, a part of me wanted to correct them. It was true that I wasn't one to flaunt my relationships, I loved my privacy and every relationship was for myself and no one else. But there was this other part of me that wanted to accept that I had been known for dating multiple people.
"I do, not lately, but I've been known for that"
"Was Jake one of them?"
"Why does everyone want to find a connection between Jake and me?"
Now I had to accept that what seemed like a practical joke at the beginning now was making me wonder why everyone seemed so keen on finding out if Jake was single or not. Something was up with him and this party.
"Everyone? More than one has asked you?"
"Everyone has asked me since I got here and I don't get it"
"Yes, even Faith here was asking me earlier about him"
In other conditions I wouldn't have involved Faith in all of this but seeing her facial expression made me realise that maybe I was right, something about her was off.
"Why did you want to know?"
Popcorn would have been great for something like this. Sophie seemed annoyed at the thought of Faith figuring out something about Jake, but at the same time Faith seemed like she didn't care enough about Sophie's outrage.
"We both know that someone like her isn't going to last around here, she's too... sweet for this"
"Around here? Why are you so set on putting a bad image of him on me?"
"Look around, every single girl around here has been with him. Now ask me how many have lasted long enough to call them their girlfriends"

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram