III


"She told you that? She can be serious about can she? Can she?"
If there was one thing I was sure about was that he was mad, he sounded mad and for the first time during this party I wish I hadn't said anything.
"You were his last serious relationship, right?"
"I wouldn't really call it serious but if that was for her..."
"It was" I interrupt him, mostly because I can't help it "You were with her about a year and half ago"
"What else did she told you?" Now he was curious.
"No, no. I want to know your side of the story first"
"Why are you like this?" He was rolling his eyes at me "I'll tell you later, okay? Come here, we need to dance first"
It was my time to roll my eyes at him, I hated dancing or at least the kind that he danced. A part of me wanted to leave but after everything that just happened, I was ready for more, even if that meant dancing a little bit.
Agreeing to all of this called for more alcohol. If I was going to do something like this I might as well enjoy a few drinks. Getting a little bit drunk can help my and others cause. Without inhibitions I might be able to talk a little bit more with them and find an answer to why they are here trying to be with Jake.
A part of me expected this outcome, partying before seemed funny, partying now seemed like something I wanted to enjoy once again but hadn't worked out the way I wanted to. It seemed like this part of me was happy to go out, sing and let all my problems go, but another part of me was terrified of going back to my old me, of getting drunk and doing something I would regret.
And of course there was the anxiety factor, having a panic attack in the middle of a party isn't exactly ideal.
Now that I was starting to warm up to everyone in the party I could see that everyone had their groups, everyone except Faith, for some reason that girl seemed approachable but quite difficult at the same time.
"Where have you been?" There was a hint of anger in her voice. "You left me with Sophie"
"Sorry? I was smoking, you said you hated the smell..."
"I do, you shouldn't smoke though"
She was really vocal about this, much more if we took in consideration that I met her a few hours ago.
"I should, I really should..." At this point I should at least consider it.
"Have you known Jake for long?"
"What?"
"You two seem quite close, how long have you been friends? I've never heard about you..."
I could either make her suffer and have a little fun or make her have a run for her money.
"We've been working together for the last three years but only came close this year, why?"
"Nothing, it's just that he doesn't introduce new girls regularly and when he does... well, let's just say it's because he wants something more than just a friendship"
"Really?" There was a hint of sarcasm in my voice that I couldn't hide.
"Look around, each one of the girls here is looking for something and it all has to do with him."
"Jake? Then, why are you here?"
"Because he's my friend and it his birthday"
"Right, do you want another beer?"
Maybe I was being a little bit paranoiac, maybe I was being precocious but something about Faith was making me nervous.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram