My Fitness Goal II

When I went into college I started eating out of nervousness, I quit smoking out of the blue, I stopped walking all together and as a result of that, I started putting on the weight that I once had lost.
My mum gave me an opportunity to sign myself to a gym close my home, at first I was excited, I wanted to lose all the extra weight I had, I wanted to feel good about myself and in my incredulous mind, I was also ready to find love and the only way was going to happen was being slim enough to be noticed.
I went three to four times a week, I was on a roll for about four months in which I felt really good about myself, but then something inside me started feeling wrong and in my first opportunity I stopped attending using as an excuse the graduation trip that my parents gave me.
I didn't do anything but eat for the next two years, I gained a lot of weight to the point in which I felt uncomfortable with myself and the way I looked, no pair of jeans fitted right because I was going up sizes again. And then summer course came into vision.
I had been off for two years, I didn't expect to come back ever and then as I was looking for a temporary job, summer course came into mine and my parents' mind, it was the perfect opportunity but I knew that in case I got accepted I needed to have more resistance.
It was April when I started doing some light cardio and it was awful, I wasn't able to do nearly anything without feeling out of breath or completely disappointed with myself. I did it once or twice a week and I noticed my mood going up and my body starting to feel different.
During that summer I dropped several pounds from the nature of the job, I was really happy with it so I kept working out regularly and by that December I was the happiest I have been with my body in a really long time. I was looking healthy with a way to go but way better about it.
Then the holiday came and I stopped for a little bit, I wanted to give my body a break, but that break was a little bit too long and it took me a while to get back into the groove of things, but one thing that is true is that I got so invested into it that I never thought of actually quitting.
To add to this I also started doing yoga, one thing I thought I was never going to do, but knowing that I suffer from back pain it just seemed natural to try anything to stretch the part of my body that hurt the most to the point in which some days even lifting my arms or laying flat was painful.
Last year was a true test, so much happened that I found myself working out less than I would have wanted but enough to gain muscle and get to a point in which I feel happy, comfortable and people start noticing. Almost everytime I see someone I haven't seen in a while I get those comments.
It has been a long, tiring process but I feel so much better now with my body and soul. I like sweating the stress of the day and knowing that not only am I working to reach a goal, but that I'm also getting stronger each day that passes. I can do a lot more than I did at the beginning and I feel proud about it.
An important thing to add and the main reason to talk about this is that each time someone asks me why I did it I feel weird, I didn't do it for a particular reason, there was no heart break, there was no health risk (at that point at least), it was just me trying to feel better about myself. 
That's why I chose to not talk about it, I wanted to keep it to myself so none of the comments people would make affected my motivation or would put me down.
I'll do it again, I love the feeling, I love going for runs to the forest once a week, I love feeling better in the clothes I wear and I like being more flexible to. I did it for myself and I feel proud of the way I've come through. Do it for you, it'll feel better that way.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram