Cancer


My dad has cancer. I've stared at this screen for too long to try to find a better way to say but I can't, my father has cancer and a month ago he started chemotherapy. It has been one of the worst, most difficult situations I've to deal with and it broke me, something finally broke me down.
We had suspicion since before my grandma passed away, we knew something was off but with everything that happened, his checkups got backtracked a few weeks. He went through many analysis, many checkups and many different doctors just to confirm that his cancer had began spreading.
It was a shock to my core, you never think what would happen if one of the people you love the most goes away, but suddenly I was faced with that idea. I'm lucky, I always had that father figure in my life, he was amazing and even took under his wing many of my friends. Everyone that meets hims knows he's special.
He's strong, he would always teach my how to fix things so, when time came I would know what to do. He taught me that being a girl didn't mean I was weaker than the rest, au contraire, it meant I had to be stronger than anyone else just to prove how much I was capable of. He raised me to be strong and independent. 
The idea of not having him around is scary, my mum needs him, I need him. He's still in the early stages and it's treatable, we know that the chances of him living a healthy life are really big,yet, we are all pissing our pants, fearing the worst, preparing for anything he may need and trying to keep a strong face in front of everyone else. 
The day they gave us the results I left the house and started crying, I couldn't believe that something like this would happen to someone like him, he's such a good man. I still don't think I've come to the terms with it. Maybe i'll never come through with it, but for now, the only thing I have left is to fight for him. 
I know that deep down all of this there's a lesson, something the universe is trying to tell us but I can't see it. Maybe as time goes by, I'll learn and understand, but for now, all I have left is to support the two people that ought to give me everything they could and not have a mental breakdown.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram