Haircut

For the past four years I found my safety blanket, I wore my hair long and in my face as a way to protect myself from the world, to hide from everyone that would want to look at me and for so long it worked and I felt amazing but suddenly it wasn't making me happy anymore.
Everyone would tell me how nice my hair looked and how I shouldn't cut it. Every single person I knew would tell me something along those lines and I got tired, my hair started to feel dead and I started to feel like it was swallowing me and making me look older, so I decided to make an appointment with my hairstylist.
Listen, I don't cut my hair often, it's a hassle and I would always go for the same so why bother with going every three months, every seven months was doing just the same. The difference is that this time I didn't know what to ask for, I wanted something slightly different and not so far from my comfort zone.
Truth is, short hair styles don't suit me because of the amount of hair I have and the wave it has. Maybe that's why my hairstylist freaked when I told him to cut 10 inches off... Not my wisest decision but I was doing it for a change and it felt good to free myself for a little bit, to not feel drowned over so much hair.
I regretted it for the first three weeks, it was puffy, unmanageable and I was stuck with it.
As a miracle my hair started to grow quite quickly, so each week I would find myself feeling better and better about the way it looked and how it suited my face. It was a change I wanted to do for so long and now I was starting to feel good about it and myself.
As any change it takes to get used to it but it's amazing how much a hair cut has helped my self esteem levels, now if only that would fix everything else I have a problem with. For now I'm going to let it grow a little bit more and hope for the best, I don't think I'm going to let it get to the same length as before but at least a couple inches more.
Baby steps right?
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram