Criticism

There's a difference between good criticism and bad criticism, we all know it, but lately people don't seem to really recognise the difference between the two and have been really outspoken about the aspects about my life they don't agree with. Not because I have a wild lifestyle, just because it doesn't sit well with them.
The main reason for me to talk about this is my boss, my new and neurotic boss. I've been an assistant twice now, I get what I have to do, I know what I should always avoid and what I have to face no matter what. The problem here is that my neurotic boss, who we shall call "Manic", really wants to immerse himself into my personal life.
Everyone knows, unless you are close to me, I won't talk about my dates or friendships, I don't find it necessary and, in some of my friends' words "makes me look like a prude" which isn't a bad thing, but it isn't really my character.
This behaviour goes back to how I was raised, I was always told by my parents to recognise with who I could talk about certain topics, to be more guarded and really separate my personal life and my profesional life. A knowledge I've taken to the next level, separating my personal life from my family and work. Unless I feel like it's someone close to me and worthy, I won't talk about it.
So when my boss decided it was okay to talk about my personal even when I was certainly uncomfortable and give his opinion, telling me I give this vibe, like I'm lonely, something moved inside me. The question resonated so much with me that I questioned myself all day, thinking that maybe he was right.
It came to the point in which I had to ask someone, I couldn't keep it to myself so I asked "Cheri" and everyone I could reach really. Their answer is what you would have expected a big no accompanied by a "if it's taking so much energy out of you, maybe you need to think about it". They are right, I was overthinking something I thought I'd come of off.
Criticism gets to you in the weirdest ways, sometimes it's going to come out of nowhere at a time when you feel vulnerable, it's going to get to you, but you can learn from it and move on from there. This is one of those escenarios in which you've gotta remember who you are and let people's opinion slip by.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram