Move Your Body

Part of learning to take care of your body is learning to move every single day. We grow up with the impression that you are either and athlete, a gym bunny or a sloth but nothing in between, so before we ever give it a try, we discard the idea of working out.
I, too, grew up with the idea of gyms being for people that wanted big, defined muscles, not for regular people that wanted to lean out, become stronger and take care of their body. Up until 19, I wasn't doing any physical activity, even walking to near places was a hassle for me.
Being a chubby kid and growing into a chubby teenager, I had a lot of room for improvement so my mum signed me up for a gym, my first experience and my first lesson about fitness and how my body worked. It didn't last long, after 3 months I quit.
A year later I would begin doing cardio and body weight training out of necessity and curiosity. I got results and started to enjoy it. I was getting leaner and stronger, somehow I was doing more for myself than ever before and actually enjoying it.
Then life happened and I had to take a break. It was during 2017 that due to family problems and "lack" of time I started paying less and less attention to my fitness, it took a tool on my body, I was no longer strong, I was no longer happy with how I looked.
Over 2018 I decided to pick it up again, it worked but my relationship with my body was so broken that I overworked myself. More than once I had to take two or three days off because my body was aching so bad, and then life happened again.
During June I was so sad that I couldn't get out of bed, or even think about doing a whole routine, so I didn't. For about three months I did the bare minimum, staying in bed more than I should and eating more than I should'd have. The weight came back, quickly.
It was in November when enough became enough and my mind started to crave the movement, the relief, the time for myself. Somehow I started to enjoy working out again and everything seemed new and exciting. My frustration because of my strength loss became a fuel, one that could only be burned by doing what I had to do.
Yoga, body weight, cardio, even running and walking almost everywhere became some of my weekly activities. It isn't easy, my body is still recovering its strength but I know I will get there, because it's worthy. Once you learn that it isn't a task, but something you should enjoy, your whole world is going to look different.
Even if it's 30 minutes of light training, do it for yourself, for your body and for your self love. It's worthy.
Mayte.

Mayte B Marcial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram